Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Tips for Living Frugally

I know, I know... there is tons of information out there about how to live on less money, get out of debt, spend more wisely, etc. But I wanted to share with you a few ways that have personally helped me. And I will not admit to being a pro at it, sometimes the budget just "doesn't work".... ya know? Anyway, here are a few pointers for those of you starting to take charge of your finances and you life!

1. Start with a cash budget. This is easier than it sounds, although it may take a few weeks to get it down. Read my post here on the Cash Flow System. If you know exactly the amount of cash you have to spend, you are more likely to hold onto it longer and make wiser decisions when letting it go. Much different than mindlessly swiping your credit card or pushing "buy" on Amazon or Paypal since your information is already saved! That's where I get into trouble.. I love knowing how much I have to spend and not answering all the bank statement questions for my husband...


2. Bring down house costs. For example, don't leave the water running, knock up the temperature when you leave the house, unplug appliances, hand wash dishes, etc. It doesn't seem like much- except a little annoying- but it can actually make a significant difference on your monthly bill. Give it a try.

3. Shop Groupon, Living Social, Deal Chicken, etc. Always check these places first when you are planning a vacation, buying electronics, printing picture books or canvases, getting a massage... we have saved a good amount of money booking hotels through Living Social and they are nicer than we would usually stay in! I also just bought a deal for $70 worth of photo items from Picaboo for $12.... then I shared it on Facebook, 3 of my friends purchased it, and I got it for FREE. I will be using it for Christmas cards and photo books I have ready and waiting! Be sure to check expiration dates- you don't want to buy it and not use it in time!

4. Start a Cash Saving Jar. Some people don't like this (like my husband) because it is cash in the house. That's fine, but find a way to keep track of a little "secret savings". I'll usually stash leftover dollar bills from my cash budget or money from gifts. I try to follow this exactly because it's a fun challenge and you know exactly how much you have! I think I only got to about Week 11 and then spent it. Then to week 5 and spent it. But I keep starting over!


5. Save your change.  This little piggy can hold up to $100 when it's full! Right now it says Hawaii Fund because that was the last thing we used it for... in 2011. But every bit helped! And now I just continue to fill and and empty it as I want. I will usually pull this money out around holidays or my husband's birthday. It's nice to have that extra cushion that hasn't touched your budget or bank account! Although, If you are using a cash flow system, you tend to use every dollar and dime you find. So it can still be a stretch filling this. It doesn't hurt to try though!



6. Shop off-season. Because many of us live in AZ, this is an easy thing to do. All the new school year and fall clothes come out in August and September- with pants and long sleeves. And we're over here trying not to melt in our shorts and tank tops! It's easy to walk into Target, Kohl's, JCPenney, Old Navy, etc. and find clearance prices on things you could wear RIGHT NOW. It's also really easy to do this for baby and children clothes, since they *generally* follow the typical size for their age. I got Pip a bathing suit last year for this summer for about $2.50 since it was considered 'last season'. On that note...

7. Only Shop Clearance Racks. My sister is the best at holding me accountable to this. Once we were shopping together and I showed her an adorable dress I picked up. She said "it's cute, but it's not on sale. I already looked at it and it wasn't on a clearance rack. Put it down". I had been caught! If you don't even look at the regular racks, you don't know what you're missing. They'll make it to the clearance racks soon enough. And clearance for me is anything below $10. If it's a shirt or dress still looming around $15, I try to wait it out and go back later.

8. Shop On Holidays or Sale Days. Since we now have a gazillion holidays in America, it's pretty easy to wait for the next holiday. Old Navy recently had their annual denim sale right before Labor Day where jeans are on sale between $15-25 for adults, $10 for kids. We walked out of there with 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of hiking pants and a shirt for my husband, and 2 pairs of jeans and 2 pairs of shorts for me, for about $105. Score.

9. Use Coupons and Free Gift Cards. I get these babies in the mail often. They're my favorite. I created a game for myself. Spend some time in the store shopping all the clearance stuff, and spend as close to the $10 as possible, without going over. I usually use these to buy gifts to stock up for birthdays or holidays, or I've let Pip pick out a little toy before. Last time, I bought 2 pairs of sunglasses and a pair of earrings (all clearance, of course), and my total came to $9.57! The cashier was amazed. She also told me that my total savings for all the items was $72. It was actually more, considering that it was all FREE for me! I also get a free panty from Victoria's Secret often, and I always use those! Most of them now have $10 off a bra attached too. I got lucky last time I went it and got a free panty and 2 bras for about $30 after my coupons!


10. Don't Impulse Buy. Just be patient. If you go home and can't stop thinking about it for 3 days, then get your butt back to the store and buy it. That's my rule. If it's still there, it's meant to be! I've been watching this great twin sized blanket at Target that has been on sale for weeks, but hasn't dropped yet. I'm not willing to pay more than $20 for it, so I've let it go, but I keep checking just in case. When it drops, I'm ready, but I don't NEED it right now. Something else that helps is writing a list of all the things you want when you "wanter" goes off. Sometimes I have a hefty list, but as the days and weeks go by, I don't really want or need those items anymore. It's worked wonders!

11. Pinterest. Make all your Christmas gifts, creative meals, activities ideas, toys, dates... you name it!If you actually take the time to do it, you will feel great and save money! There will be a post on this in the next few months... until then, enjoy my Things I've Done Board.


12. Do a Clothing Swap. BEST.IDEA.EVER. I just finished my second clothing swap of the year. It's perfect- one is April as the weather changes, and one in September. It's like getting rid of all your unworn clothes and sprucing up your wardrobe for FREE! Everyone brings their stuff to donate, you spread it all out, and go at it- picking and trying things as you go. Even if you leave with only a few good items, you got rid of things you weren't wearing and got 'new' clothes for free! There is nothing better. Read my post on the first clothing swap we did in April. I will probably arrange a swap twice a year for the rest of my life.


13. Build/Make Your Own House Decor. Check out my links here and here for some home projects that I have done myself! Saved alot of money and made it feel more personal!


14. Craigslist and Consignment. This is not one that I am very good at yet, but my friend Krisann  is a pro! She shops stores and websites like crazy to find exactly what she wants without compromising price or quality. Check out her post here on how to work craigslist, and here on how to cosign your clothing!

(From Oh Krisann!)
15. Meal Plan. Again, it takes a little time and effort, but it helps. You then know exactly what you need at the store, how much, and can account for leftovers for lunches. Try tricks like using only 1/2 pound of ground beef when it calls for 1 pound- try adding more fillers like beans or rice. Buy veggies in bulk when they're on sale and chop and freeze them. I always have a bag of chopped onions and green bell peppers in my freezer that I pull out a few times a week for meals. Make your own meal planner here.


16. Make your own house cleaners. A little vinegar and baking soda can go a long way! Cheaper, cleaner, and safer for those of us with little crawlers and walkers. Check Pinterest for a gazillion different ideas and recipes.

17. Create a gift basket. By a gift basket, I mean a basket fun of little trinkets and gifts that you always have on hand for different occasions. They can be saved up for Christmas and birthdays, or used as little thank you gifts. I am determined to start buying little things as I see them on sale to add to this basket. Here it is so far!


18. Pick Names for Christmas. Our family has gotten so big in the past few years that we have started to do this every year for Christmas and it works great! We don't include our parents or the grandkids yet, since they can be happy with a cheap toy from each other. We usually have a $25 limit for each person, and then we plan a night before Christmas to get together, exchange gifts, and open in front of everyone. It's fun and simple, and something that we all really look forward to!

Well there it is. Hope these ideas stir up some creativity in you! Good luck, and be frugal!

2 comments: