When
I became pregnant and entered the world of babies, mamas, diapers and
breastfeeding, I felt a little clueless. I wanted to know everything I
could possibly get my hands on, so I could be prepared and be the best
mom EVER. Now I’m kind of a “good enough” mom. But I’m okay with that!
I
do feel very strongly though, about educating new moms about what to
expect in this life change. One thing we don’t typically think about it
recovery and what is needed for it. Now, this post is focused on a
vaginal delivery because I do not have experience with a c-section, but I
bet that many of the suggestions still apply. In the weeks prior to
delivery, be sure to create yourself (or a pregnant friend) a little
“kit” to keep near them during the first week (or longer)...
Pads: Once
you get out of your Depends or those awful mesh panties, you will be
ready to get back into regular panties (granny panties, of course). Go
to the store and get the biggest, longest overnight pads you can find.
You will still be bleeding, so you’ll want something comfortable and
super absorbent. You will bleed from anywhere between 2-6 weeks. Even
after that, you can still have a little bloody or brown discharge for a
few weeks. This is normal. Your body is simply cleaning out the uterus.
Witch Hazel:
Witch Hazel is an astringent that helps to relieve soreness and itching
and also encourages healing after birth. You can find it near the
pharmacy in any store. I used the Target brand that was near the band
aids and humidifiers, for any of you who know target like the back of
your hand like me! A bottle is less than 2 bucks, so grab it and this is
what you do: Open your giant pads and lay on flat surface. Put the
Witch hazel in a spray bottle (you can add lavender essential oil if you
desire), and lightly mist the pads so they are damp. Put the open pads
on a tray and into the freezer. Once they have frozen, fold them and put
them in a ziploc bag in the freezer for easy access. They feel
WONDERFUL in your undies. I was afraid it would be so cold, but it’s
not! It’s just enough to feel relieving and the witch hazel starts to
heal your stitches. You can start this as soon as you are ready to
switch to pads. It will not sting or cause any pain. Also, witch hazel
can help to relieve those hemorrhoids (reality....).
Breast pads: Again,
don’t be lost without them. In the beginning, I wore cotton ones that
my sister gave me. Although they were comfortable, they would shift a
lot when I slept and I could easily leak through them with my engorged
breasts. At about 4 weeks, my sister-in-law came into town and told me
to use disposable pads. DUH. I took my butt back to Target and bought
some (target brand) and that’s what I am currently using. They are
larger so they don’t shift, and they don’t leak through. They are also
soft against your nipple and don’t stick to you after nursing (like the
cotton ones did). Keep them nearby and change when they get wet, because
they start to smell funny.UPDATE: A friend reminded me of adding nipple cream to the list! I loved Earth Mama, Angel Baby brand. More of that in the next post!
Boppy Pillow: I
loved this thing. I needed to use it every time I nursed for the first
couple of months. It made me comfortable and held her well, so I could
switch her into different nursing positions easily. I also found it
useful during pregnancy for comfort. I could easily tuck it between my
legs to rest or sleep, and I could even lay my belly in the hole and lay
on my stomach! If you don’t have a Boppy, make sure you have lots of
pillows nearby to support both baby and you.
White Noise Machine:
This sounds funny, but we took our everywhere. I bought a 10 dollar
travel machine from Target (love that place!) and she used it
constantly. The white noise helped to calm her and put her to sleep. My
husband found an article that stated that when babies hear white noise
in the womb, it is as loud as a vacuum! That’s loud! So we would put
this little machine near her ear when she started hysterically crying or
wouldn’t latch to eat, and it worked every time. I used it hourly for a
long time (first 2 months or so) and i still take it in the car and put
it on her head rest in her carseat to help her fall asleep.
Pump: If
you are nursing, do your best to nurse and pump as often as possible to
encourage milk production. This no only will increase your milk supply,
but it will relieve you and provide some stored milk for baby in case
of emergency, or whenever you are ready to introduce a bottle. Make sure
to invest in (or borrow) an effective pump.
Water: The
most important ingredient for producing milk is water. You need to
drink as much water as you possibly can. Herbal teas also “count” as
water intake, so indulge if you are getting bored of water. Rule of
thumb: When baby drinks, you drink. Always. Plus, you will find that as
soon as she starts nursing, you will be so thirsty! It’s crazy. Whenever
I sat down to nurse baby, I always made sure that I had water, the
remote, and her burp cloth.
Remote: You
will probably spend lots of time in front of the television as you
nurse and comfort baby. Don’t feel bad about it, just don’t do it
forever. But have the remote close, because it is such a pain to be in
the middle of nursing, unable to move, and “Snooki and JWoww” comes on,
and you CAN’T REACH THE REMOTE to change it!
Burp clothes:
I never used small burp clothes, because my girl seemed to always
overshoot the cloth and get her spit up on everything else; me, the bed,
the remote, the dog, etc.I use receiving blankets. You can never have
too many! They are great as spit up cloths and you can keep folding and
using a different spot until it’s finally too wet. Don’t forget to have
one nearby, especially if you have a strong letdown!
Chapstick: I
try to have this near me always. On the nightstand, in the car, in my
purse... I hate chapped lips, and with all your moisture going to milk
supply, you will be dry!
Mother’s Milk Tea: It’s
never a bad idea to drink this to encourage milk supply. It’s also nice
to have a hot cup of tea to relax. You can find this tea usually at
health food stores like Sprouts and Trader Joe’s, but I have not found
it at any “normal” grocery stores (has anyone else?).
Herbal bath: The
birth center I go to sells a little 3 pack of herbal bath pouches for
postpartum care. You simply steep the bag in hot water for 30 minutes
and add to a few inches of warm bath water. Since you cannot take a
“real” bath for a while, these feel good to soak a bit and know that the
herbs are also helping to heal you. You can also take baby into this
bath with you to wash her, calm her, and clean her umbilical cord. I
only did this once, since my girl didn’t like baths in the beginning
(only showers). I have heard that sitz baths work wonders too, I just
have not tried one personally!
Remember
that these first few weeks are the toughest. Try to keep these things
nearby to ease discomfort and assist you as you jump into motherhood!
Just a few days postpartum!

the sitz baths work but not as well as the Herbal Baths!! I did the sitz baths with Lilly and I did the herbal baths with Sophie and Eli and I healed faster and felt way more soothed vs using the sitz bath!! we got our herbal bath off the internet :) from a website my sister in law found!
ReplyDeleteair max 90
ReplyDeletecheap jordans for sale
michael kors handbags
pandora jewelry
nike air max 90
new orleans saints jerseys
nike air huarache
snow boots for women
supra shoes
pittsburgh steelers jersey