Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What to Expect in Pregnancy


You’re pregnant!?!?! YAY! Congrats! This blogpost is a crash course in what to expect over the months of pregnancy. I know, there are TONS of books and websites and classes, blah blah blah. But for my friends, I wanted to give a few quick tips to save you the hours of research!

Morning Sickness: You may or may not have this, and it may kick your butt or just make you woozy. Regardless, it is real and it is NOT fun. If you can, try to pinpoint when it peaks. First thing in the morning? After lunch? In the hours before bed? plan around those times to lay low and have things around to ease the discomfort. Mine was first thing in the morning as soon as my eyes popped open. It was always a race to the toilet. I usually made it, but sometimes it was the bathtub or sink. Oh well. I read an article to keep water and crackers by my bed and eat immediately after waking, but that only made it worse. I discovered that if I just let myself vomit without anything in my tummy, it was dry heaves, passed quickly and I could go on with my day. Avoid foods that make your stomach turn, eat bland meals (breads, no seasonings, water), and eat often ( every 1-2 hours to keep from getting hungry). And remember that it will not last forever! 

Keep snacks handy: You will begin to feel more and more hungry at goofy times. In my desk at work, I had a nice little food stash. Since my morning sickness was so severe, I had to eat something little every hour. Not many things would sit well in my belly, so I resorted to fruit, veggie sticks, pb & j sandwiches, fruit snacks, and trail mix. I know, super healthy. But it’s what worked! Keep a bar or bag of nuts in your purse at all times... it’s awful to get caught without something to tide over your hunger/morning sickness. 

Sleep: Go to bed early, get up late, take naps... whatever it takes! These are the last precious months that you will be able to sleep whenever you want and for however long you want! Plus, you need to rest for proper baby growth, weight gain, energy, etc. You will also be increasingly tired in the months to come. 

Go on dates: And lots of them with your man! I think my hubby and I have had 4 dates in the last 5 months of being parents-which is a lot more than most! And all of those dates have to be strategically planned around nap times, feedings, etc. We never do dinner AND a movie, since that’s so long. And a movie longer than an hour and a half just won’t do! Take advantage of your freedom now and invest in your marriage. You will need that security for the months after baby is here and you are both exhausted and at your wit’s end. 

Stretch Marks: They may or may not happen to you! I realized that no matter how much you brag that you don’t have any at 9 months pregnant, they appear after you deliver. Oops. Here’s some comfort- EVERY mom has them, whether you can see them or not! Some hide on your breasts, your butt, or the inside of your thighs. Those tricky spots that can be hidden! It’s a reality, and you will stretch again with more babies. No biggie. Embrace it and let’s move on!

Swollen Feet: Yep, this happens around 7 months (maybe sooner if it’s summer or you walk a lot). Mine were so swollen and puffy that my husband joked that I had my own pair of Sketchers shape-ups, because they looked like I could rock back and forth on them! Thanks, babe. Once I was even standing in church and my shoe buckle just popped off. It broke right there!  Awesome. Get them up as often as possible and drink LOTS of water. An occasional foot rub can’t hurt either. They will go down quickly after baby is born, and you will never feel so happy to see the bones in your feet again!
Horomones: Yep. I did soooo well in the beginning. My husband even joked that he liked me better pregnant! Then as I got closer to the end, they started. The unexplainable tears, the outbursts over the wrong Chipotle order, and anxiety over every baby appointment and ultrasound. The majority of the time, your baby is perfect and healthy, so just relax. Don’t blame hormones or use them as an excuse, but recognize that they are real and can change things. Continue to work on being loving and friendly as often as possible!

Take a labor and delivery class: Please do this. Even if you plan on going to a hospital and receiving an epidural, it is still so nice to have the confidence that these classes have to offer. They can help you to know the real signs of labor, when you call, when to leave, and effective ways to labor before the epidural, or all the way unmedicated! Our class also focused primarily on the husband-wife relationship during labor and delivery and the importance of our spouse’s support. For a life-changing course, I recommend a class called "The Birth Journey” by our doula Dianne Hamre. It’s a one day class that is all inclusive, answering lots of questions, giving information, and providing an interactive simulation of labor for each couple. Ask me for more info! 

Expect the unexpected: If you have read my birth story, you know that my birth did not go as planned. I went from the idea of a natural, unmedicated birth at home, to a birth center, to the hospital, to almost having a c-section! If you have a plan in your head of how it should go, let it go. You will only be upset and disappointed if something happens and throws your plans off. It is good to have an outline of your ideal birth (like no pain relief, a doula, labor at home, etc.) but be open to changes. Have people that you trust near you, so that if they see something that needs to change, you can respect their judgement and follow. There is no shame in any kind of birth, just get that baby out safely! And save yourself some heartache afterwards, if it didn’t go according to your plans. 

Expected Due Date: That’s right, your due date is not on the baby’s calendar. It’s better to just expect a birth month instead of a day! They need to bake as long as possible, so they come out healthy and ready to take on the world. If your due date comes and goes like any “normal” day (how rude!), then treat it as a celebration. Go to coffee, hit the pool, get a pedicure, go on a date. When someone asks when you are due, smile sweetly and say “today!”. It’s fun, I promise. I loved celebrating this day and knowing that I was so close! If baby is doing well, don’t rush her. Enjoy the last few days while she is in your belly. Besides, she is quieter in there and you can still get things accomplished!

Relax: Relax and enjoy this time! God has created this little person inside of you, and there is nothing that you can do to make it progress or grow! How cool is that? We just wait and let God do it all. What a lesson. He already knows who your baby is, what they will be like, how your labor will be... just trust and wait on the Lord. This will happen in due time!

As always, if you have any questions or want to share your own tips, let me know! :)



                                Here is a picture of me on my due date, CELEBRATING! With a Frosty...

2 comments:

  1. relax enjoy the day, besides she is quieter in there! LOL ha hah ahhh i can see you saying that! Best advice i have ever received is smile and nod "thanks for the good idea" every mommy will have something she knows you need to do... but do what works :)

    ReplyDelete