This is the story of a little girl named Greta. She will be 1 year old this month- I can't believe it. Her mama Kelly wrote out her birth story to share with you all! Enjoy :)
March 22 came and went. It seemed this baby girl still wanted to bake a while longer. I
wasnʼt too discouraged though, I had fully anticipated going past my due date since I
myself was born two weeks late. So I went about life as usual, went to church, visited
with friends, went to a spring training game, re-organized the pantry...anything to keep
my pregnant self busy and distracted. On the evening of Sunday, March 25, I was
feeling a little “off.” My husband Robby and I were watching some TV before bed and I
just felt crummy- I was achy and I had a little stomach pain. At this point, I did not even
consider that being in labor was the source of my pain. I mean, I was the size of a
house and 40+ weeks pregnant- being uncomfortable was pretty much a given! We
eventually headed to bed. As I tried to get comfortable, I was getting discouraged.
“Ugh!” I thought, “I am so ready for this baby to be out!” Little did I know, that was
exactly what was about to happen.
At around midnight, I left the bed and went to lay on the couch. I thought watching a
movie would help put me to sleep. So, I found my all time favorite, The Sound of Music,
and popped it in. At about the time Maria was meeting the Von Trapp children, it hit me,
“holy smokes, could I be in labor?!” I was still not getting comfortable and my stomach
ache wasnʼt constant, it was coming every 15 minutes or so. I suddenly became a mix
of excitement and nervousness. I couldnʼt believe that this might actually be happening
now! Robby came to check on me once he realized I had left the bed. I still wasnʼt
convinced this was labor, so I didnʼt tell him I thought this was more that normal aches
and pains. I wanted a well-rested husband if this was the real deal! I began to time my
“pains” with my handy app. I was moving all around the couch and the floor trying my
best to get comfortable. By about 5 am, the pains were roughly 7 minutes apart. Robby
and I became googling maniacs trying to determine if we should go to the hospital. “Are
they always 7 minutes apart?” “Um...kinda?” “How long have they been this way?”
“Awhile?” “Do you think we should go to the hospital?” “What does that website say?”
“Do you feel it in your back?” “I feel it everywhere!!!!” I had a fear of going to the
hospital and having them send me home, so I wanted to be sure I was in labor before
making that trip. I decided that I would take a shower and get ready. If I felt the same
or worse when I was done, we would go to the hospital. I took a nice, long shower, blow
dried my hair, got dressed, put on some mascara, ate a granola bar...all the while still
experiencing those mysterious aches. “Yep, letʼs go.”
We arrived at the hospital at around 7:30 am on March 26. The triage nurse confirmed
our suspicion- I was indeed in labor! Yes! I wasnʼt the crazy lady to have 8 false
alarms! That was the good news... The bad news was that I was only at 1.5 cm.
“What? Iʼve been having contractions since midnight! Only 1.5?!” It was
recommended that I walk around for an hour, then the nurse would check my progress
again. Robby and I walked every hallway of Banner Estrella many times. We were so
excited to meet this baby! I was also super excited because it was the 26th, an even
numbered day. I am a numbers psycho and former math teacher. I much prefer even
numbers over odds, so I realllly wanted to have my baby on an even numbered day. I
know...weird. My happiness was interrupted when my contractions started picking up
and I was forced to find a trash can- my granola bar was not staying down. “Wow,
these contractions are no joke.” We continued to walk and talk, but I had to stop and
really focus to get through each contraction. But I did get to pause long enough to take
a picture with the Biebs outside the hospital gift shop.
After our hour of walking, I went back to get checked. I was at a 3. Not super
impressive, but I doubled my progress from last time! I was trying to keep positive, but I
was getting increasingly miserable. I was finally able to be admitted and given a room.
I labored on and on. My rock of a husband was amazing. He helped me so much by
doing all of the various things I requested. “Can you rub my back? Now just lay your
hand on my back but donʼt move it. Can you put lotion on my feet? Now stop touching
me and donʼt talk!” Oh man, I was something else. At 3 pm the nurse came in and
asked if I wanted an epidural. I had a goal of getting to 5 cm before receiving one, so I
asked her to check me first. When she said I was at a 6, I pretty much sung the
hallelujah chorus. “Sold! Give me the drugs!” The angelic anesthesiologist descended
from the heavens entered the room and put the epidural in place with minimal
discomfort. Onward to painless birthing bliss!
At this point I was finally able to fully enjoy the process. I had visitors come in, Robby
and I watched a couple movies (Tangled and Pirates of the Caribbean 4), and I just
rested. That evening when the nurse checked me, I had not made significant progress.
We decided she would break my water. That still didnʼt help move things along. At
around 10 pm, we decided to try a little pitocin to see if that would help. By 11 I was at
9 cm. “Oh wow, this is getting close!” Robby texted all our family (who had been in the
waiting room all day) to let them know Iʼd be pushing soon. As the nurse continued to
check me, I was at 9, 9, 9.5, 9.5, 9.75, 9.75, 9.9... At 1:30 am I was finally ready to
push! I was able to have a mirror set up so I could see the whole thing. Way gross, but
definitely my favorite part. After two long hours, at 3:28 am Greta Brooke was born! 8
pounds 4 ounces, 20.5 inches long.
My first words after she was born were, “How did that just happen?!” I
was so elated and in awe of what had taken place. Talk about
indescribable joy! Robby and I just looked at each other and this sweet
baby with tears in our eyes- so thankful to God for this perfect gift.
She had swallowed some meconium so as soon as she was out she had to be
suctioned. But after that, she went straight to my chest for snuggling.
We were now a family of three.
PS: I was initially disappointed that Greta was born on an odd numbered day. But I
soon realized that it was ok because her birthday (3/27/12) was a math equation!
3+2+7=12!
#supernerdstatus



LOVE that Justin Beaver ( in our house he is beaver not bieber) got to make a cameo in this birth story! Now the pressure is on LOL
ReplyDeletetiffany outlet
ReplyDeletenike tn
michael kors outlet store
yeezy boost 350 white
christian louboutin shoes
uggs outlet
oakley sunglasses
ravens jerseys
redskins jerseys
the north face outlet