Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Letter to My Baby Sister on Her Wedding Day

Hahna Alyce-

I am writing you this because I am hoping it can count as my Matron of Honor speech at your wedding. You know I'm a hot mess when it comes to speeches, so this is bound to be more audible and flow a whole lot more smoothly!

I am coming up on 5 years of marriage. Not a ton, but a good 20% of people get divorced within the first 5 years. And sadly, the statistics just go up from there. I (we) have worked hard on our marriage and I long to spend the rest of my life with the man I chose to marry. So, that being said, it is now your turn.

Today you enter into a covenant with Dallas and vow to become his wife, partner, lover, mother to his children, and supporter. You will promise to always wait for him, forgive him, and love him. These words sound so pretty and airy, but the reality is that they are heavy and binding! In a good way. No one else will ever know you the way that Dallas will. He was your first love, your first boyfriend, your first kiss, and now your first...everything else :). He will be the one to hold you when your heart breaks, laugh with you when you're giddy, hold your hand as you travel the world, and grow up together.

Yes, you are both very young- and I do think that it is harder to get married young and stay married. Not stupid, just harder. You are such a different person at 19 than you will be at 25. Or 30 or 40! You and Dallas will have to work harder to grow TOGETHER as you grow up, because the world may try to pull you apart as you discover your likes, dislikes, passions, irritations, etc. You will need to put your relationship in the hands of God and constantly work and trust that you can and will do this.

Don't be afraid to fight. I'd much rather fight about every little thing than ignore each other and have no passion in our marriage! And sometimes you go to bed angry. Don't freak out! Let me explain. If it's late, and you're both tired, many times the fight will go on and become irrational. It serves you both well to rest and take it on in the morning when you both feel rested and calm. Let the little things go- sometimes issues are just not big enough to worry or bother you. When these come up, simply agree to disagree and move on. These things do not have to weigh down your marriage. And don't forget to DATE EACH OTHER. This whirlwind relationship has given you little time to enjoy being together and dating! Go on dates, vacations, and invest in each other. It will not be wasted time, I guarantee you that.

This is not intended to discourage you in any way, but to ENCOURAGE you to never give up on your new husband. He is handsome, quirky, and ridiculous in his shorty-shorts. He is loving, comforting, and giving. I have seen these things just in a the past few weeks. He has every ability to seek God and direct and lead you and your family. He will be a great husband.

Hahna, I love you. I will miss your goofy phone calls, your clothes, and the way you look at my child. I know how much you love her. I will miss late-night FRIENDS and gelato. I will miss cereal at 10pm (we haven't done it in awhile, but it was great!). I will miss going shopping and getting caught outside of the "clearance" racks. I will miss dancing crazy at weddings with you (we still have one more!). I will miss you.




I am so grateful that you found someone to love so fiercely, and I know that you will thrive and flourish in your life as a military wife. And remember that THE BEST IS YET TO COME! I can attest to that just over the course of 5 years. If you think it's good now, just wait. I love you!

Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Dallas Cannon!



 "Where you go I’ll go. Where you stay I’ll stay. Your people will be my people. Your God will be my God. Where you die I’ll die. And there my body will be buried. I won’t let anything except death separate you from me. If I do, may the Lord punish me greatly.”
Ruth 1: 16-17 

2 comments: